Friday, March 4, 2011

Vegetarian Chili and Cornmeal Plantain Biscuits

This vegetarian chili is one of Mississippi Robs favorite things to eat. We make it a lot during the winter and we almost never take a backpacking trip without the dehydrated version in our packs. It has a couple of unusual ingredients that I think make it really interesting. One is eggplant and the other is chocolate. The smooth texture of the eggplant is a really nice addition, and the chocolate adds an unusual richness and depth of flavor. My version is adapted from a recipe in a cook book called The Accidental Vegetarian, but I have changed it up quite a lot. I recommend topping it with fat free cheddar cheese, a tsp of fat free sour cream and a little chopped cilantro and serving the biscuits I am pairing it with on the side.

Yes, I said biscuits, but not just any old biscuits. Corn meal plantain biscuits. These are NOT your grandmother's biscuits, but they are dang good anyway! I made this corn meal plantain biscuit recipe up the other night to go alongside the chili. I have to say, not only did these biscuits go well with the chili, but they are really, really good. MRob, horded the last 3 all for himself, and when I asked him if he really was not going to give me any, he broke off a little piece of one and handed it to me. He mumbled something about how many biscuits were in the Ziploc bag I put them in when he left for work that morning, but "sometimes when he talks all I hear is Yaa-Yaa-Yaa" (True Blood, 1st Season).  Anyhoo, I guess it was a compliment even if I did only get a little piece of the last biscuit. Seriously, you really should try these. They are very easy to make and I can't wait for you to see what I made them with! So let's get started with the chili.

Vegetarian Chili




In a large soup pot heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium to low heat. While the oil is heating chop a medium sized eggplant into 1/4 inch pieces. Add the eggplant to the pot once the oil is hot. It should sizzle when the eggplant is added.




While the eggplant is cooking, dice a red onion and 2 cloves garlic fine. Stir eggplant occasionally, cooking for about 5 minutes. Remove eggplant to paper towels to soak up some of the oil. Add onion and garlic to pot.




Cut a poblano pepper in half, remove ribs and seeds from half of pepper, and chop fine. Add chopped pepper to pot with onion and garlic. Put other half in fridge for later use.




Chop 1 medium sized zucchini into 1/4 inch cubes and add to pot with other vegetables.




Lightly saute vegetables until onions are translucent and other vegetable are just cooked. Add eggplant back to the pot.



 
Add 1 can low sodium black beans (drain water),





and 1 can pinto beans (drain water again).




Next, add 2 cans of crushed tomatoes. I used my Mom's home canned tomatoes, but store bought will work
as well.




Add 2 1/2 tbsp cumin,





1 tbsp chili powder, 

 


and 1 tsp coriander.




Grate or chop 2 squares of Ghirardelli unsweetened dark chocolate. 




BTW, I found the bar of chocolate I bought to make this with opened on the kitchen table, with one square missing, the day after I bought it. I asked Mississippi Rob if he didn't realize that it was unsweetened (he was with me when I bought it). He said, "I just didn't realize how unsweetened it was". He makes me laugh. I'm glad it didn't have sugar in it. I probably would have had to leave it out of this blog.

Add the grated chocolate to the chili pot.




Finally, add 1 tsp of granulated sugar.
 



Stir and cover pot with lid. Simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

A little before you are ready to serve the chili, grab a fresh ear of corn.




Shuck, silk and wash the corn. Cut the corn away from the cob with a sharp knife and add to a small non stick pan.




Saute the fresh corn for about 2 to 5 minutes and remove from heat. Top the chili with fresh corn, fat free cheddar cheese, fat free sour cream, and fresh cilantro (I forgot to add the cilantro for the pic. Please
just imaginate).




See that biscuit at the side of that bowl of chili? You have to make that biscuit! It is a must. Seriously. It is simple, quick, and worth every second it takes to make. Here's how. You can thank me later :)


Corn Meal Plantain Biscuits

OK, prepare yourself for the weirdness. The GoOd CrAzY weirdness:)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Sift 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup all purpose flour into the work bowl of an electric mixer,
along with 1/2 + 1/8 cup... dunt dunt dah...



What is that you ask? Well if you guessed...


fish fry, you are absolutely right!!! Fish Fry-It's not just for frying fish anymore! Stay with me now. The ingredients in this fish fry are none other than



MAKE SURE YOU GET THE UNSEASONED VARIETY!!! 

So, as I said before, sift 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup Fish Fry into the bowl.

Add 2 heaping tbsp sugar to the sifter.


 


Add 4 tsp baking powder,




1/2 tsp salt.



and a 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper.



Melt a 1/2 stick of unsalted butter in the microwave. Add one very ripe plantain to the butter and mash the plantain, thoroughly mixing it with the butter. Add plantain/butter combo to the mixing bowl.


                            


With the paddle attachment, mix to combine the ingredients. Add about 1 and 1/2 tbsp milk and mix to form a soft dough. Mix about 1 minute.




Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Toss slightly in flour to keep dough from being too sticky and to smooth out dough. Roll dough out with rolling pin to about a 1/2 inch thickness.




Cut with floured biscuit cutter or drinking glass.





If you are concerned about making a mess you could also pat these out with your hands like my grandmother used to, but I like mine all uniform and pretty. It's an OCD thing :)



 
Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown (Watch closely. Lower temp if browning too fast). Spray tops of biscuits with 5 squirts each I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for last minute of baking.


I sincerely hope you enjoy these recipes. Just to let you know, I won't be posting very much over the next few days. MRob and I are heading out to Buffalo River in Arkansas for a backpacking trip. I am really looking forward to it, and I am sure I will have lots of stories and pics to share with you when I get back around next Wednesday. Until then, I will miss you terribly. Please send positive thoughts and energy towards my plants and my Mom who is plant sitting for me. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

Love,
Stephanie H.

Vegetarian Chili 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
medium sized eggplant
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 poblano pepper
1 medium zucchini
1 can low sodium black beans (water drained)
1 can pinto beans (water drained)
2 cans crushed tomatoes
2 1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 squares of Ghirardelli unsweetened dark chocolate
1 tsp of granulated sugar
1 ear of corn
fat free cheddar cheese
fat free sour cream
fresh cilantro 

Cornmeal Plantain Biscuits
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup unseasoned Fish Fry
2 heaping tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1very ripe plantain
1 and 1/2 tbsp milk
flour for dusting work surface
I Can't believe It's Not Butter Spray (or real butter)



No comments:

Post a Comment