Tuesday, March 15, 2011

All Garden All Week

Good Morning! This week I am planting my garden. It may be a little early yet, but my plants were getting too big and I had to make a command decision. Plant them or loose them. So this week is likely to be mostly garden post and perhaps fewer posts as well, as I am crazy busy trying to get all this stuff I bought in the ground. On Saturday MRob and I went to our local garden center to get dirt, which I thought was going to come in nice neat little bags like at home depot. Imagine my surprise when MRob went off with the garden center guy and came back to pick me up with this…




…in his brand new truck. Ummm…I had no idea. Really. So MRob helped me haul dirt to my beds partially because he is a good husband, and mostly because he wanted that dirt out of his truck :)




While he was off loading dirt up in the wheel barrow…



I took pictures of my toes :) Then when he came back I ran around and looked busy and raked dirt with a yard rake (which doesn't work at all by the way. We found a garden rake later thank goodness).




I mixed my soil components all together really well and sprayed them down good with the hose.




I also, protected my garden from predators with said garden hose at least once :)

MRob and I measured and put screws in (BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: I finally learned to use a ratchet screw driver after all these years), and I tied fish line between the screws to make my squares.




and then....


THEN....



I referred to my plan one more time, and I took several deep breaths of the fresh, allergy inducing spring air and...




I moved my little baby seedlings to their new home.

Look at little Ildi plant looking all grown up in the big plants bed :) I had a great time, and my thighs are very sore, and I have been out to check on them every morning and evening since I put them out...inhale...exhale...because I love them, and I miss them and....




I don't trust the local predators!

Tonight I am going to plant my seeds. I made stakes for them this morning from empty milk jugs. I figure every piece of plastic that I re-purpose is a piece that doesn't end up in the plastic soup or some poor seagulls belly. Here is how I did it.




I got a cup of coffee (this part is very important. You may need to get a second cup :), an empty milk jug, a pair of scissors and a pen I thought I would use but didn't.




I cut the flat panels off the milk jug.

I cut the flat panels into strips, and trimmed one end to make them pointy.




I wrote the names of my plants on them with a water proof marks-a-lot.


I got 30 markers out of one 1/2 gallon milk jug and it took me maybe 45 minutes, but I wasn't rushing. In the words of Ina Garten "How Simple Is That?" They won't run, won't weather, and best of all, if I use them year to year, won't end up in a seagull's belly. It's a win win win as far as I'm concerned :)


I leave you with this :)




That's right, I am getting my first flower :) She is probably waiting for me out their right now.

Have a great Tuesday!

Love,
Stephanie H.

No comments:

Post a Comment