Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Stephanie Moment

I share this simply because it will, with out a doubt, absolutely thrill my (very twisted) baby sister, and I love to see that little brat smile :)

Last night Mississippi Rob went to a football game, and I finding myself delightfully on my own, decided to indulge in a little "me" time. So, I scheduled a pedicure with Julie. Now I am not, in general an overly indulgent chic. My head and schedule are almost always bursting with ideas/potential projects, and frankly I spend most of my time and money on making/creating/growing stuff these days. Pedicures are one of my few indulgences. They are necessary. Pedicures were the first thing I gave back to myself when I started coming out of the long and tiresome funk I spent the past couple of years in, and Julie doesn't know it, but she is very special to me. She has the spa-side manner of an angel. She exudes gentleness and concern, and during a time when I felt nothing could heal my heart she made me feel better, if only for a little bit at a time. She is humble, amazingly unpretentious and (for me at least) it is a blessing to be in her presence. We talk about books and gardening, our families, and vacation plans. She always remembers to ask about my father's health. She really is a precious soul. I always try to be very considerate and respectful of her. I worked in the service industry for a long time, and I hope with all my heart I have never or will never make her feel the negative way you can sometimes feel in a service job. I try to let her know how much I appreciate what she does in the
only way I can...I tip her well :) After spending an hour with Julie pampering my tootsies, the massage chair at my back, I was feeling wonderful, and my feet were thanking me. Here's a little visual.


She couldn't do anything with my hobbit toes or the poison ivy and sting ray scars on my legs and ankle, but those are some very shiny toe nails. Thanks Julie!
  
As I was sitting with my feet under the ultra-violet thingy, waiting for my nails to dry, I spotted a 225 Magazine (local free magazine) near the register. There was an article about Baton Rouge chefs I wanted to read in it, so I grabbed a copy on the way out the door.  I walked a little down the sidewalk to Jason's Deli where I planned to get some take out and head home, but then I had a radical idea. I usually always get take out when I am by myself, but last night I realized I didn't want to go home yet, and I didn't care about eating by myself. I wanted soup and salad bar, and I wanted to eat it in the restaurant, by myself and read my magazine. Not because I had to, but because I could!!! This probably seems silly to you, but I never eat alone. NEVER!!! I felt so empowered and brave. So self-assured and well adjusted. I ordered my food, took my drink and cup of soup to a booth at the back of the restaurant and then headed over to the salad bar (Jason's has THE BEST salad bar). As I was maneuvering lettuce onto my plate with the provided tongs, I heard a sound…a clink…insert train derailment sound bite here. I looked down…slowly…and this is what I saw.

This is a recreation of a crime scene. Earring is playing itself. All other parts are played by professional vegetables and pots/pans in order to protect the innocent.


Now I have to go put plants in pots,  sow the final seeds in my garden, and hunt for gel earring backs. I hope you all are having a lovely, productive Saturday!

Love, 
Stephanie H.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment