Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? Weekly Update 3/3/11

This week has been a little more challenging on the gardening front than previous ones for two reasons.

1) Some of my plants haven't been as healthy looking as they were in the past. I think Mississippi Rob may be partially right, in that the yogurt cups I planted them in may be getting a little small for them. I have also had some yellowing leaves.



I think I over did it with the water one day, and I am adjusting that back. Mostly the problems have only been with the tomato plants, and one eggplant. My Purple Cherokee and Genovese tomato plants aren't looking near as strong as I would like, but I am working with them.

2) The second challenge is that MRob and I have had a backpacking trip planned for the coming week since the end of last year. I thought of canceling on him, but that would mean he would have to go by himself. It would also mean, that I would have to forfeit a much needed vacation. So, long story short, my plants are going to a sitter. MY MOM!!! My mom is a wonderful woman. A WONDERFUL MOTHER!!!! She's a very talented lady, who is good at a lot of things. Gardening however, has never been one of her passions. There is cause for concern, and if you don't believe me, just ask the sad little 3 stalked aloe vera plant I rescued from her last year.  Still she offered to help me and I do need the help. I think with good instructions she will be fine for a few days. When I asked her if she thought she could do it, she said "well I think I can water them better than they can water themselves". The point was well taken. My plants are going to Granny's for the weekend :)

3) Oh, and let me add one more challenging gardening experience to this list. It wasn't really that challenging but it was a head shaker. On Saturday, I went out to add to my compost and give it a good stirring up. The garbage can I keep it in has one of those screw on lids. I rolled it around and I turned it over, and I...

 
dumped it all out.

So, I went in the house and put on long sleeves, long pants, and gloves (I am super paranoid about coming into contact with Poison you know what now) and I came back out and went and got a shovel and came back and scooped all of the nasty decomposing loveliness back up into the garbage can. Yayyy!!! All cleaned up. So, I started mixing it again, and with in 5 seconds...


I dumped it again. The answer is YES!!! It is fun being me. I hope you are clapping right now, because I totally deserve it.

So I scooped it all back up with my shovel...into the garbage can...AGAIN, and I didn't mix it like that anymore. Lesson learned, although somewhat reluctantly :)

In case you were wondering. Ildi is great!



So is her sister,


and the herbs are doing fine as well. Sorry about all the blue lighting. I had to take these fast. I gotta go to work. Thanks Mom for helping with the plants! You are the greatest. Please do not give them vinegar (inside joke). Everyone else, please cross your fingers and don't uncross them until next Wednesday!!! Hope you have a great day.

Love,
Stephanie H.

1 comment: