Monday, March 14, 2011

French Toast Cups with Cottage Cheese and Fried Apples

I feel I need to begin this post with a reminder for prayer for the people of Japan. I am really bad at stuff like this. For some reason this sort of tragedy always seems to reduce my constant babble to a confused stutter. I guess I should be glad to know that something can quiet me :) I just feel that I absolutely can not discuss the makings of french toast cups this morning without pointing out that there are some very cold, hurt and devastated folks out in the world right now, who need to be remembered. It was not so long ago that the region I live in was rocked by it's own tragedy. I will never forget the sensation of returning to work (civilization) in a relatively unaffected area and hearing about the storm and it's aftermath through the eyes of people who had never lost electricity or more important television. The people I work with were wonderful and helpful and extremely concerned. Still, I will never forget how it felt, reporting into work (at a job I had only had for a couple of months) in a grungy pair of shorts and T-shirt that I had hand washed myself in a tub with a washboard. I remember how odd it was to me that every one's hair was still fixed and that they knew more about what was happening than I did. A lot more :) Don't get me wrong. My friends were experiencing the aftermath of the storm, but they experienced a different part of it than I had. My point is, I think it is easy (Even for me. Even now.) for us to watch this sort of thing on the news and not feel the full weight of what is actually happening, because in truth it is just more than we want to feel. It is easier to just turn that subconscious switch in our head that tells us we are watching television, not real life. Our media presents us with fantastic stories about this tragedy, but for the people of Japan, who are living it, it is just real. It is not fantastic or tragic, or great story telling. It is just keep it together, take care of yours, and survive. So please take some time this morning, if you haven't already, to say a prayer for Japan and it's people. Also, those who want to help can go to www.redcross.org and donate to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami. People can also text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific. I pulled this directly from the red cross website. If anyone has additional info about aid to Japan please feel free to comment it below :)

Now, about french toast cups :) I don't know why, but on the weekends I always want breakfast. REAL BREAKFAST! During the week I am completely satisfied with my 4 oz of yogurt and 1/2 a cup of fresh fruit with a coffee chaser, but on the weekends I want something special. This presents a challenge for me, now that I am trying to make healthier eating choices. A girl can only eat so many egg white omelets you know :) Yesterday, I made MRob and I a brunch of these yummy little french toast cups. I pictured this recipe with fresh blueberries rather than apples, but I had apples instead of blueberries and MRob loves fried apples, so I gave it a shot. It came out great! The little honey drizzle finish made it perfect. Here's how I made it.

Crack to eggs into a medium sized bowl and add 1/4 tsp cinnamon,



a pinch of nutmeg,

 


and a pinch of ginger.




Whisk thoroughly.




Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 ramekins or muffin cups with non-stick spray. Soak a slice of bread in the egg mixture (I used Nature's Own sugar free bread, but I suspect that a regular whole grain bread might work easier).




Place the saturated slice of bread in the sprayed ramekin or muffin cup and form it to the shape of the cup letting the edges of the bread spill over the top as necessary. Place on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes checking at 15 minutes. The french toast cups are done win they are puffed up and lightly browned.

While cups are baking prepare filling.

You will need one large granny smith apple.




Turn a medium sized non-stick pan on to heat over medium heat. Peel and chop apple into 1/2 inch pieces sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon, 10 squirts I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, 1 single serving packet of Truvia, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of ginger. Toss apples, thoroughly coating in dry ingredients.




Add apples to heated pan along with 1 tbsp of water. Reduce heat slightly and cook until apples are lightly browned.



 Add 1 cup of cottage cheese to a bowl with 1 single serving sized packet of Truvia, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Stir to incorporate.




When cool, remove french toast cups from Ramekins by running a thin knife around the edge of the ramekin pressing against the ramekin. Gently pry the french toast cup out of the ramekin being careful not to tear. Place french toast cup on a plate. Fill center of cup with cottage cheese mixture and top with fried apples. Drizzle with 1/2 tsp of local honey and enjoy :)




Hope you have a great Monday :)

Love,
Stephanie H.

1 comment:

  1. OMG that looks soooo good! I'm going to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete