Monday, February 7, 2011

The Survivors

Considering that all my attempts at gardening had been complete failures in the past, last year I decided that I would just try to keep a few house plants. Things went really well for a while, and then we got Bagheera.



Bagheera is our beloved black cat. We love Bagheera, and Bagheera loves plants but not in a gentle way. So I had to move all my plants outside. Still everything was going OK, but then I got depressed and I didn't care about the plants or much of anything for long time. Long enough that most of them died. I went to work, I ate, I slept, I cried to a cat who looked at me as though I was crazy, and I suppose I was. I did not water plants. I did not delight in the green things around me. The past couple of years have been tough at times (see my "About Me" section).
So anyhoo, these (deep breath) are the survivors.



And these (head bowed in shame) are those who perished.



Sadness :(



sadness :(



and more sadness :(

Still I, like my survival plants, am here and ready to try again. I started planning for my garden in early January this year. This is unprecedented! Usually I am still in hibernation at this time. Things are changing. I am changing. This is one of the ways I know that this is my year :) I decided I wanted to grow my plants from seed. I have never done this before, and it has made all the difference so far. I am a woman obsessed! I am shocked by how I look forward to seeing what has sprouted through out the day while I'm at work.



I check them as soon as I wake up every morning and as soon as I get home in the evening.



I talk to them, and spritz them with my little purple spray bottle.



I move them around so that they grow straight instead of leaning toward the the light.



I am fascinated by how quickly some of them are growing,



and frustrated by the fact that some of them are taking FOREVER!!!

I wonder constantly if I am doing something wrong. This is obsessive compulsive disorder at it's finest. I have never been happier :) Growing stuff is really fun, and I can't believe that these tiny little plants are going to grow tomatoes and flowers one day soon. I have always believed that some where deep with in me there is latent gene for growing things. It hasn't been nurtured or properly cared for, but I just know it is there. I believe it because I want it to be true so badly. So, this year, I try again. Say a prayer, wish on an eye lash, look for shooting stars!!!

Proof of my Green Gene: My dad who is 81, still grows enough vegetables to feed our entire family every summer.

1 comment:

  1. LOOK AT DADDY! Loves him!... You go , Steph! Talk to your plants and love em..they will love you back.

    ReplyDelete