Thursday, February 24, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? Weekly Update 2/24/11

Last week this time I updated you on the progress of my little late bloomer Ildi. Just a reminder. This is what she looked like last Thursday.



And this is what she looks like now!


Amazing :)

And what's more...



Ildi has a sister now, who is bigger than she was last week. I call her Ildina. I am happy for Ildi and Ildina. Sisters are great. At least mine are :)

Then there are the eggplants.



They're a steady bunch.

... and the herbs.



I love the herbs. They make me smile :)



Sage has real live bumps on it's leaves, just like regular sage does. Thank you sage :)


Oregano is looking spry.



Lavender seems to be doing pretty well despite the fact that I spelled her name wrong on her label stick, and in some ironic twist all three of the pictures I took of her were focused on said label stick instead of her. Hmmmm...go figure. Her progress makes me extremely happy. I have read that Lavender doesn't grow well in the south, but I am hoping to overcome this. Please survive lavender. I want to create a fancy dessert with you and spread your smell through out my house. I believe in you. You can do this :)



That's right. Stand up tall and proud Parsley. Believe in  yourself. I don't care what they say. You are far more than just a garnish. Clearly they just haven't realized your full potential.



 Thyme developed this lovely purple color on the underside of her leaves this week. Very pretty thyme. Thanks for that :)



Very sweet, Sweet Marjoram.

Last but most definitely not least, my personal favorite, Cilantro. I can not describe the love I feel for Cilantro. I can't believe I am growing my own. I can't wait to make salsa with you, and put you in my tacos and Asian food. Cilantro I love you. I really do, but I have a question. Why are you so lazy? Why won't you stand up. Have I hurt your feelings or something. You look green and happy, but you are on a constant siesta (oxymoron alert) lately. You only get one life Cilantro, and you really should stand up tall and enjoy yours, because I can promise you it won't be long (evil, salsa making cackle :)

And finally...



The Tomato Plants. They always stand tall.


We've had some challenges this week, the Tomato plants and I. They have been loosing leaves. My gardening mentor and friend told me to try raising the lights a little more and that seems to  have helped. They are growing so fast now, and requiring a lot more water and attention. I can't wait to put them in the earth. I think they will be happier there. Just a few more weeks. Mississippi Rob has been trying to get me to do it early, but I am sticking with my gardening mentor's advice. She has been right about everything so far.


Aren't they just so lovely and green? I wish that you could smell them. Their scent is intoxicating. So clean and fresh and tomato-ee. If I was an elf I would totally crawl up beneath their leaves and take a nap in the diffused green light of their foliage. Maybe when they get bigger I can fit :)

This week a lady friend at work, after looking at my blog told me "No one grows plants from seeds anymore. You are just an old fashioned girl." I hope so. I don't want to forget the things, that I was too snotty and preoccupied to learn from my parents and grandparents in my youth. I have a lot to catch up on, but I am up to it. Little does my work friend know, but I plan to try my hand at canning this year too, and I am in the market for a porch swing as well. I always said that I was gonna grow old gracefully. I didn't want to make a fool of myself. Now I don't care about any of that. I just want to enjoy every minute, whether I make a fool of myself or not. Bring on the road trips and being the only "old lady" out on the dance floor. Bring on the old, the new, the stupid, the weird and the embarrassing. Bring on being laughed at, and laughed with. BRING ON LIFE!!!
I am ready :)







1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder. It's been so bitter cold and snowing I haven't even planed out my spring garden.

    ReplyDelete