Friday, February 25, 2011

One Steak-2 People-4 Meals



Earlier this week I pulled one of my daddy's steaks (my dad raises cows, and we buy meat from him) out of the freezer to cook for mine and MRob's dinner. As you know I am counting calories these days, so Rob and I weren't about to take down that big old steak in one sitting. I ended up cooking 2 meals for both of us out of the one steak. The first meal I made was a steak salad with thin strips of seared steak, avocado, tomato, goat cheese crumbles and finished off with a champagne grapefruit vinaigrette. The second meal was a steak sandwich topped with smothered rutabaga and red pepper hash. MRob went straight crazy over this sandwich. He really liked it, and of course he said the same thing he always says whenever I cook rutabaga. "How come you don't cook rutabaga more?" I honestly have no answer for this. I love it every time I cook it, but then for some reason I forget about it. It is just one of those great subtle southern flavors of time past, that often gets overlooked these days. If you haven't had it before, go get you one and smother it up. I promise you won't regret it. It is sheer sweet and earthy goodness. So anyhoo, I thought I would share these recipes with you. I counted the salad at around 430 calories, and the sandwich at around 419 calories.

So, now for how to make the steak salad. First you want to marinate the meat for at least 45 minutes or so. The steak I used was about an 8 oz porterhouse. I cut the meat away from the bone and divided it into two pieces so that it would fit in my dish better. Place your steak in a shallow dish and squeeze the juice from 1/2 a grapefruit over the entire steak.


 

Next sprinkle over the steak 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp celery seed, and about 5 sprigs cilantro chopped. Give about 5 turns of the pepper mill, and then rub the dry ingredients in over the surface of the meat, flipping the steaks over and getting the juice and dry rub into the meat on both sides. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate the steaks for at least 30 minutes.

While the steaks are marinating...




squeeze the juice from the remaining half grapefruit into a medium sized bowl.




Chop 1/2 shallot, 1 clove garlic and 5 cilantro sprigs fine, and add to the grapefruit juice.




Add 1/8 cup champagne vinegar...




and 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil to the juice bowl. Add 6 turns of the pepper mill and 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk dressing to incorporate ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.




 Next heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.




While pan is heating, move steaks to a clean plate and pat dry. This is an important step to searing and browning the steak properly.




When the steaks are cooked to the proper doneness for your liking remove from pan. I did ours pretty rare for this salad, and I think it compliments the other flavors best, but I know some folks just don't eat rare meat, so cook it how you like it :) When steak is close to "your" done sprinkle with a pinch of salt.




Next you want to trim the excess fat and slice the steak into thin (about 1/4 inch thick) slices. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of this part. Weigh out 2 oz of steak slices for each salad, and put the rest in the refrigerator for the steak sandwiches.




Place 1 cup of romaine lettuce on a plate. Cut an avocado in half and put half in the refrigerator for later. Cut the Avocado half in half again (which would be a 1/4) and cube the quarters separately. Sprinkle 1 group of cubes onto each of the plates of romaine. Cut two slices of tomato (a little less than a a 1/4 inch thick) and dice each. Add diced tomato to salads. Add 2 oz steak slices to each salad. Sprinkle each salad with one tbsp goat cheese crumbles, and finish by drizzling a tbsp of the prepared champagne grapefruit vinaigrette over the salad. Prepare to not feel like you are eating healthy, although you pretty much are.




There you have it Steak Salad with Avocado and Champagne Grapefruit Vinaigrette. Hope you like it.

We sure did :)

Ingredients List
8 oz porterhouse
1 grapefruit cut in half
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp celery seed
10 sprigs cilantro
1/2 shallot
1 clove garlic
1/8 cup champagne vinegar
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tbsp for pan
black pepper mill
1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch more for salting steak
2 cups romaine lettuce
half avocado
two slices of tomato diced
2 tbsp goat cheese crumbles


Now for meal number two. You're gonna love this steak sandwich :) I know it sounds kinda weird, and I guess it is, but it was really, REALLY good.  First you need to make the dressing.




Cut 1/2 of a red pepper in half. Remove seeds and ribs. Cut half in slices about 1/4 inch thick. Dice the other half. Spray a medium sized skillet with olive oil spray and add the diced red peppers plus one slice of red onion diced. Saute until translucent and tender. About 5 to 10 minutes. Move the sauteed vegetables to a food processor, mini chopper, or bullet. If you don't have any of these move them to a bowl. You can mash the vegetables and mix sauce with a fork. Add to the processor 1 tsp red wine vinegar, 2 tbsp fat free sour cream, 1/2 tsp brown mustard, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Pulse or mix thoroughly to make a sauce.




Refrigerate.




Peel Rutabaga and cut in half. 




Slice rutabaga into sticks about 1/4 inch thick and then cut into cubes. Dice 1 slice red onion. Spray a medium sized pan with olive oil and preheat. When pan is heated but not too hot add rutabaga cubes, diced onion, and red pepper slices to pan. Cover with tight fitting lid and cook over medium heat until fork tender. Check periodically.  You may have to add a little water a tbsp at a time to keep from burning because so little oil is used. If you want to avoid this, just use a tbsp of olive oil instead of the spray. This will increase your calories, but it will keep it from sticking and you will get a true smothered flavor. I'm trying to keep the calories low, so I used the spray.




In another skillet spray 10 squirts I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. Add steak slices from previous meal to the pan. Add 1 beef bullion cube crushed, 1 cup water, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp
onion powder.




Continue cooking until most of the liquid is cooked into the meat and it is fully browned, but not dry. Toast one Nature's Own sugar free whole grain hamburger bun. I know...fancy...but where else are you gonna get a sandwich roll for 110 calories? If you have have the answer to that question, PLEASE comment it below :).
 



Spread hamburger bun with prepared red pepper sandwich spread. About 1 tsp per side. Add 2 oz
steak slices. 


Add 1/4 cup rutabaga hash on top of steak slices.

OK...

now prepare yourself...

this is where it gets kinda redneck :) I'm covering my eyes.

Shred half of a Frigo light cheese head cheese stick over the hash.

I know...seriously, I know...

but you just can't get any other cheese for 30 calories. Sorry. I didn't make the rules. I'm just trying to live with them and not eat card board. Trust me...this works. Just don't tell anyone you are eating half a shredded cheese head. They will never know if you don't tell them. Say it's fresh mozzarella or something, or just don't say anything. Silence is golden :)

Let's move on.

There you have it awesome steak sandwich with rutabaga hash and...ummm...fresh mozzarella. Mmmmm! Mmmmm! Seriously good stuff.





FYI- 15 Special K sea salt cracker chips were added into this meal for the total of 419 calories. Not bad! If you haven't tried Special K cracker chips you really should. They are the best low calorie chip I have had. 30 chips for 110 calories. 

Ingredients List
1/2 red pepper
olive oil spray
2 slices of red onion diced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fat free sour cream
1/2 tsp brown mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
1/2 rutabaga
10 squirts I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray
left over steak slices
1 beef bullion cube crushed
1 cup water
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 Nature's Own sugar free whole grain hamburger buns
Frigo light cheese head cheese stick


P.S.  I am not a dietitian. I count calories using a free online calorie counter. If you are really serious about calorie counting you should totally double check me, because calories change from brand to brand. I just like to try to be creative with my calories and thought it would be nice to share some of the things I like to eat. Hope you enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment